Euskadiko Arkitektura Institutua
Convento Santa Teresa
Elbira Zipitria 1
20003 San Sebastián
17:30 – 20:30
11:00 – 14:00
17:30 – 20:30
Wheelchair accessible: the level 1 giving access to the galleries can be reached using the elevator. Guide dogs are permitted in the museum’s public spaces.
For more on our upcoming exhibitions and events, please visit our Agenda.
Gidatuak eta Elkarrizketetan
We welcome all kinds of groups for guided tours. These visits include an introduction to the Institute’s ideas and approaches, as well as walks through the exhibitions on view. University and college groups are particularly welcome to hold classes, seminars, and conversations around a selection of materials from our collection.
The Euskadi’s Architecture Institute (EAI) is located on the top levels of the Santa Teresa’s Covent, a monumental ensemble built in various phases. The courtyard and the cloister built in the XVIIth century, starting in 1666 under Santiago Semosiain and Miguel de Elizalde’s conduction, but they suffered many destructions because of the strategic location near Urgull’s castle. Since 1990, the Carmelites live in closed way in the upper part of the ensemble. The lower part donated to public institutions for civil uses at the same time and now owned by The Gipuzkoa Foral Diputation. The ensemble refurbished at the end of the XXth century, upper part by José Ignacio Lizanasoro and Luis Sesé architects in 1991 as Covent and the lower part as a museum by Architect Ramón Ayerza few years later. Actual multipurpose EAI’s room was the original council room of the city of San Sebastián, and still showing some ruins of the original city wall. The exhibitions rooms of the EAI are located in the top levels and have an external terrace with extraordinary views of the Concha.